What is Telehealth Music Therapy?
Updated: 6 days ago
1. What is Telehealth? Telehealth is a secure, HIPAA-compliant method used to provide music therapy sessions online.
2. What services are offered with Telehealth? Meli Music LCC provides a variety of music services with Telehealth, including: individual music therapy, group music therapy, music lessons and adapted music lessons, music workshops, and more!
3. Who can benefit from a music therapy Telehealth session? Individuals and groups of all ages and abilities can benefit from Telehealth sessions! We are continuing to support our clients in working toward cognitive, social/emotional, sensorimotor, speech/language, and wellness goals with Telehealth. Those who can benefit may include (and are not limited to):
children, adolescents, and/or adults on the Autism Spectrum and with other special needs;
children, adolescents, and/or adults who are experiencing increased stress, anxiety, and/or depression;
elderly persons who are in isolation and needing socialization and engagement;
children, adolescents, and/or adults who are interested in learning a new instrument or who would like to continue building their musicianship skills
4. Is Telehealth safe and confidential?
Yes! Harmonic Changes is committed to promoting the safety and privacy of our clients, and abides by the American Music Therapy Association (AMTA) Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics (Section 3.12). We have a BAA agreement with our platform, ensuring our services are in HIPAA compliance, encrypted, and secure.
5. What does a Music Therapy Telehealth session look like?
Similar to in-person sessions, our Board-Certified Music Therapists (MT-BC's) use their expertise to tailor each Telehealth session to the client’s goals and need(s). Prior to your first Telehealth session, we request you set up a space that will ensure your success (i.e. minimize distractions, adequate lighting, and support—if necessary).
6. What technology do I need to participate in a Telehealth session?
Our HIPAA-compliant application can be accessed on a computer/laptop, tablet, or phone device. It is compatible with iOS, Windows, and Linux as well as Apple and Android devices. If accessing from a computer or laptop, you can open the video chat directly in your internet browser by clicking a link we send to you by email. If accessing from a phone or tablet device, you will need to download the application onto your device to access the video chat.
7. Do I need instruments at home to participate?
Instruments are encouraged, however, not necessary to participate in sessions! If you want to use instruments and do not have them accessible, we encourage you to find common household items that can be used as music instruments during the session. We can also provide support for you to create instruments of your own using household items and/or recyclables.
8. What if Telehealth does not work for me or my family member?
We understand that Telehealth may not be an accessible or appropriate format for everyone. In lieu of music therapy Telehealth sessions, we offer individualized resources for clients and families upon request. Additionally, we have free resources for you to access on our website.
9. How can I get started with Music Therapy Telehealth sessions?
If you are a current client, reach out to one of our team members to discuss scheduling a Telehealth session. If you are a new client and/or have any more questions about our Telehealth services, email email@example.com or schedule a free phone consultation through our website.